Welcome!

Welcome to The New Chainik Hocker. I am your host, the eponymous Chainik Hocker, here to share news, reviews, pretty pictures, and silly opinions with you. Contact me at chainik DOT hocker AT gmail DOT com

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Ghetto to Big Brother: OMG, LOLZ, n00b

The NYPD is installing security cameras all over the city, similar to cameras in other cities.



Speaking as a security systems engineer specializing in CCTV, and speaking as someone who has lived in New York City his whole life, let me be the first person to say: ha!

Ha ha ha ha.

Spending 9 million dollars on these things are fine- even though I won’t get a penny out of it (my company doesn’t have a shot at even sub-subcontract work, as my name does not end in a vowel, I’m not a member of the union, and I can’t afford to shmear any local politicians). What gets me is, someone is missing the point of cameras.

These cameras are useless unless someone is available to 1) watch the cameras and 2) dispatch people to take care of problems, and they will still be useless unless there are cops available to respond to those jobs.

Save your cash and get more beat cops is my advice.

Plus, I sure hope these cameras are bulletproof… and if they are, that’ll allow the cameras to survive for 4 to 6 weeks, not much more.

Story here.